Travelling within the EU with a Pivotal vehicle – Pivotal

Given the recent government changes as a result of the UK's exit from the European Union, we would like to take this opportunity to offer our advice for travelling to the EU with a Pivotal vehicle. 

If you do plan on travelling within the EU, we request that you notify us as soon as possible, and no later than 21 days before your planned departure. 

You will need to send an email to [email protected] with the following information:

  1. Departure and return date
  2. A list of countries you plan to drive in
  3. Registration number
  4. Make of your vehicle 
  5. Drivers to be covered
  6. Whether you plan on towing anything

Once we have received your email containing the requested information, we will endeavour to provide you with the following 2 documents within 14 days;

1. VE103B Certificate 

You’ll need a VE103 vehicle on hire certificate - which is similar to the V5 proof of ownership document -  to show you’re allowed to use a hired or leased vehicle if you’re driving it abroad. 

2. Green Card (proof of insurance)

A ‘green card’ is proof of motor insurance cover when driving abroad. You must carry a physical copy of your green card for the vehicle you’re driving in the EU, EEA, Switzerland, Serbia or Andorra, from 1 January 2021. This includes driving in Ireland.

You will need to carry multiple green cards if:

  • you have fleet or multi-car insurance – you’ll need a green card for each vehicle
  • your vehicle is towing a trailer or caravan – you’ll need one for the towing vehicle and one for the trailer or caravan (you need separate trailer insurance in some countries)

You will need to show green cards if you are involved in an accident. You may need to show green cards at police checks and at the border when entering the EU/EEA or moving between EU/EEA countries. This will depend on the border authorities of each country.

GB stickers and number plates

You must also display a GB sticker clearly on the rear of your vehicle if your number plate has any of the following:

  • a Euro symbol
  • a national flag of England, Scotland, or Wales

If you have any questions or queries regarding European travel, then please do not hesitate to contact us via email: [email protected] 

Similar Stories

Is an EV or PHEV right for me?

by Oliver Brend So, you’ve decided that you’d like to try out a Pivotal subscription and would like to know more about driving a low emission vehicle. In this post, we’ll talk about some of the trade-offs that you’ll make if you switch from petrol or diesel (ICE) to an electric vehicle (EV). Hopefully, it […]

format_align_left Read Article

We’ve just lost our first customer, and we’re thrilled

For people who may have been furloughed or made redundant, or who simply no longer need a car while they’re working from home, a service like Pivotal can provide the flexibility and financial freedom needed to weather the storm.

format_align_left Read Article

5 ways a car subscription can save you money

For a customer considering a car subscription, there is one single monthly figure that includes everything except fuel. It must be compared to all the individual costs of traditional car ownership, including deposit, monthly lease payments, insurance, tax, servicing, and repairs.

format_align_left Read Article